Over the past few months, there has been a noticeable increase in interest in hypermedia APIs. To date, the discussion reached peak intensity during API Craft 2014 in Detroit a couple of weeks ago. Since then, the conversation has kept going on Twitter and on blogs and you know, wherever API folk gather.
I thought it might be useful to put together a list of hypermedia resources that people can use to familiarize themselves with the topic. This list will get much longer as I will continue to add to it as I remember good resources and more appear. Please let me know if you think anything should be added.
- Chapter 5 of Roy Fieldings dissertation (REST) - It all starts with Roy Fieldings dissertation where he defines REST. A must read.
Projects & Papers
- HAL Browser - A browser based sample HAL client. Try it out and you’ll get a feel for why affordances via links have such a strong appeal!
- APIs.json - Distributed API discovery format.
- APIs.io - A searchable API directory that also leverages APIs.json.
- JSON Schema - JSON data format description and validation language. Gaining usage in key hypermedia components and within media-types.
- ZettaJS - An Open Source platform for the Internet of Things
- Verbose - Verbose is a general-purpose, multi-use hypermedia format that can be used to build robust and highly-descriptive hypermedia APIs.
- Halpert - Halpert is a library for representing and interfacing with hypermedia formats.
- ALPS - “Application-Level Profile Semantics”
- Hypermedia-API-Generator - Hypermedia API Generator
Blog Posts that explain hypermedia APIs
- REST APIs must be hypertext-driven
- The Next Big Thing is Small
- Hypermedia as the engine of application state, the client-server dance
- REST is Over
- The Hypermedia API Debate: Sorry Reasonable Just Does Not Sell
- Stop Talking About Hypermedia and REST - Start Building Adaptable APIs
- Hypermedia and Forms
Hypermedia People I follow on Twitter
- Mike Amundsen (@mamund)
- Glenn Block (@gblock)
- Pete Gamache (@gamache)
- Steve Klabnik (@steveklabnik)
- Kin Lane (@kinlane)
- Markus Lanthaler (@MarkusLanthaler)
- Jeff Michaud (@cometaj2)
- Darrel Miller (@Darrel_Miller)
- Stephen Mizell (@Stephen_Mizell)
- Erik Mogensen (@mogsie)
- Jon Moore (@Jon_Moore)
- Irakli Nadareishvilli (@Inadarei)
- Zdenek Nemec (@zdne)
- Kevin Swiber (@kevinswiber)
- Tony Tahmouch (@ttahmouch)
- Ruben Verborgh (@RubenVerborgh)
- Jorn Wildt (@jornwildt)
- Steven Willmott (@njyx)
- Ted Young (@jitterted)
Books (h/t @gblock)
- Designing Evolvable Web APIs with ASP.NET by Glenn Block, Pablo Cibraro, Pedro Felix, Howard Dierking and Darrel Miller
- RESTful Web APIs by Leonard Richardson and Mike Amundsen
- Building Hypermedia APIs with HTML5 and Node by Mike Amundsen
- REST in Practice: Hypermedia and Systems Architecture by Jim Webber, Savas Parastatidis and Ian Robinson
- Designing Hypermedia APIs by Steve Klabnik(ebook)